I’m beginning to think Montreal is a Dragon Ball city, because people will not stop making references. I ain’t mad though.
Summer is finally here and the overwhelming talents are ready to shine, “loced” and loaded:
• No Bad Sound Studio has made a name for itself over the years as a cultural center and musical youth sanctuary in the Côte-Des-Neiges area, with members of Kalmunity, Alaiz and Nomadic Massive as mentors and collaborators; now their new tape, “NBS ALL STARZ”, is out and available for purchase on BandCamp! Among the talented youngsters is Dejazz “Stillz” Libretti, who’s already made considerable noise in the community.
• Hip Hop Karaoke MTL has been going through a few growing pains, like anything else, but it’s coming back full force just in time for the summer peak, Saturday July 12th, and it’s rumoured that our friendly neighborhood Microskillz is to make his return to the stage…
• Hip Hop Heads Concordia, a student organization at Concordia University, is stirring things up in the scene, having only been launched early December. Their last event, “Cypher Brew”, was captured and beautifully immortalized by photographer/filmographer Matthew Thomas Labelle, who is also known for his work on Apartment 6, as well as collaborations with PACESIX and Pop Up Shop Montreal.
• Speaking of Nomadic Massive, they made it to the Top 5 in the category of “Best Hip Hop Act” in CultMTL’s “Best of MTL 2014”, and if you don’t know who they are, I can’t really help you. You’ve certainly spotted one of its members, a dude with glorious wool-hair who goes by the name of Waahli (a.k.a. Wyzah); if not, you’s a cavedweller.
• Lastly, things are heating up on the scene, and I don’t just mean the weather (… but THANK GOD for this sun). ZéFire is bringing crooning back with an urban twist on “F.I.R.E.”, a compilation of his take on MTL beats (with names such as Kaytranada and High Klassified on the bill), but don’t take my word for it; listen to one of his tracks below!